Monday, May 23

Good ol' fashioned communication

Technology has done some amazing things for humanity. One of my favorites is the ability to watch General Conference from my recliner while the kids work on there conference packets and we have a really good breakfast. General Conference......Millions of people watching it........could not have happened when the church was restored........sooooo cool.

However like we have been warned, there are several ways that technology can lead us from the iron rod into the darkness. Elder Bednar said: 

"I am not suggesting all technology is inherently bad; it is not. Nor am I saying we should not use its many capabilities in appropriate ways to learn, to communicate, to lift and brighten lives, and to build and strengthen the Church; of course we should. But I am raising a warning voice that we should not squander and damage authentic relationships by obsessing over contrived ones."

When he said this all the emotions in my head ( Movie: Inside Out) in unison said "mmm hmmmm you know that's right!" in my best Sheneneh voice :-). 

Now before we go any further I want to clarify that I know we are all different and some of us don't have this problem. Heck, this article might not help at all, and that's okay. I just had a prompting that I should write this and share the info just in case either you or someone you know would benefit from it ;-).

I'm a big fan of face to face communications. In fact, at work I use video equipment for 98% of my calls with people around the world. I love it, it's the next best thing to calling on the phone because I get to see who I'm talking to. It's even better when I get to see these folks face to face. Even better than that, is when I don't have to travel to see them and they travel to see me. 

And then......Facebook.

My thoughts around this mirror the article below. I think there is a lot of good and quite a bit of the negative that "could" be affecting how we feel. Give it a read, know that I love you all with all of my heart. See you all in July!

http://mormonlifehacker.com/how-to-take-back-your-brain-from-facebook/  


4 comments :

Magi said...

Thank you for sharing! Reminders are always great.

Ricki said...

Interesting article, but I'm not willing to follow his suggestion. I love seeing family photos. I like staying in touch with my grade school and high school friends. I share gospel topics, especially with a couple of non-member friends; doing some missionary work with my Missouri friends that we are Christian!
BUT, if it starts to interfere with my calling...

Mark said...

Sorry, Bippy, this is too long. Could you post it on Facebook for me to read??

Will said...

Hiya mom, yeah the article has to be taken with a grain of salt. Hence the quotes from Elder Bednar. It isn't all bad but some people have a big challenge staying positive when they look at Facebook, see the perceived happy life everyone else is living and wonder what's wrong with theirs. I have trimmed down the info I see and some of the groups I follow. But that's all.

Mark, I can't post it on Facebook. I forgot how. ;-)